Wednesday, March 08, 2006

women's history month

i've been really busy in the last few years deconstructing gender. i felt like i had the luxury of redefining who i am to myself and how i live in the body i was born with. i decided i don't have to be what the world thinks of as a woman; i can be my own kind. i even considered abandoning the category of "woman" altogether, prefering to avoid the accompanying heinous conglomeration of stereotypes. after all, what is the gender binary but an elaborate excerise in rationalization for a system of ingrained oppression?

girls are just more emotional than boys
boys will be boys
what does she expect, dressed like that?

but what i haven't acknowledged is that it doesn't matter what i think about myself, how i view myself, what i believe my value in this world is. it doesn't matter that i believe in self-determination. it doesn't matter that i refuse to accept without question the requirements imposed on me because of an accident of genetics, or that i think any requirements based on what you fuck with are meaningless. in fact, it doesn't matter if i think at all, because as long as i have a uterus, that is what defines me.

i am just a walking cunt in the eyes of the government, and so are you, and we already have all the proof we need.

UPDATE: see the new santorum: bill napoli

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home